Wednesday, March 12, 2014

DC and All its Wonders!

It has been a while since I have written a blog. I wanted to quickly update y'll on what I have been up to. Last time I wrote I spoke about our move to DC and what a big change it was moving from Nebraska. Here are some of my thoughts on the move so far...

1. DC is crazy expensive! I mean Nebraska was very inexpensive so DC seems crazy in comparison, but let me emphasize: the difference is huge! We spend so much money on rent that I cringe every time I write a check for the rent! On a positive note we are very privileged to be able to afford the rent and so no complaints here. I always observe my surroundings and realize how fortunate I am to be where I am. 




2. Transportation is amazing! As a person that does not drive (equally by choice and not-choice) DC is the place to be. I can go anywhere I want anytime I want at a reasonable price. As a person with a disability I fell like no place is off limits, I just need to make the time. And as a plus public transit is so clean! 





3. Being in DC lets me take advantage of every one's tax payer money! That's right, not only is transportation amazing, but most places are free including most museums, the zoo, and national monuments. I am planning field trips for my students in the summer and its amazing how cheap they are going to be!





4. We have gotten involved with the National Federation of the Blind of DC. They are a group of loving, passionate and joyful people. They have welcomed us with open arms and we are working on various projects such as hosting DC's first ever BELL program! 


5. Things that feed my soul include people, music and like-minded individuals. We have gotten to know a great group of people through a group called Son Cosita Seria. They (or should I say we :)) are a group of people who play traditional Mexican music- Son Jarocho. Everyone in the group is very authentic to their self and they are involved in social justice issues outside of the group that we all support. I must say they keep me smiling and believing that we all make a difference in our communities. Below is a picture of my first performance! I can only play one chord, but I played the heck out of it! We were raising money for a fair food trip to Ohio.




6. Food: Let's start out by making it clear that there is no good Mexican food in DC. Nebraska had way better Mexican food. On the plus side, there is such a huge array of other choices that so far we have had Tai, Chinese, Malaysian, Ethiopian, Salvadorian, French, Spanish, Peruvian, all American, and I'm sure more. Alex and I always disagree on the method to eat. I think we should always go to different places and he thinks we need to become regulars so that they will know us and treat us better. Of coarse I still think I am right! The thing that is super awesome is that food trucks are everywhere! I know California made them popular and now DC thinks they are cool, but as long as we get them. Below is a picture of a bunch of food trucks at the Capitol Mall. 




7. Did I mention I love my job! It has been a very hectic year figuring out the school and getting running, but it has been well worth it! The students I work with are incredible and my co-teacher really understands blindness from a structured discovery method. We recently went to a training in which we learned more on how to be a better inclusion classroom. We are very excited and can't wait to do more for our students. Also, my students are super cute, loving and truly care for each other, its great!


Needless to say Alex and I are loving DC and what it has to offer!



2 comments:

  1. Okay, you're making me a bit jealous I don't live in DC and we aren't neighbors. I sure love you two crazy Mexican kids! :) Thanks for updating us on your adventures in D.C. I love your blog! Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good to be updated on your life, Conchita! Glad things are going well for you and Alex in DC, minus the Mexican food set back. We miss you in Nebraska and can't wait for you both to come back and skydive over the great plains!

    ReplyDelete